And then it rained....

By Skabewis (Paul DeMain)

 Paul DeMain
In 1975, Annie Mae Aquash predicted her own death. In final words to her friends, relatives, and visible and invisible enemies, she said that after she died, “remember me when it rains.”

In the early morning hours of December 12th 1975, as the sun crept over Wanblee on the Pine Ridge Reservation in South Dakota, Annie Mae was killed in a rainstorm of hate, deception, and human degradation. When discussing her fears about her impending fate, she told a friend: ”If someone follows carefully in my footsteps they will learn what I know....”

Annie Mae Pictou Maloney joined the efforts of the American Indian Movement in the early 1970’s while in Boston, Massachusetts where she lived with her two daughters, Debbie and Denise. Her efforts would eventually lead her to Wounded Knee, South Dakota where she married Walpole Island native Nogeeshick Aquash, became entrenched in AIM politics and met her death in 1975 at the hands of the very people she stepped up to support.

In Rapid City, South Dakota in December 2010 as Arlo Looking Cloud testified that he knocked on the door of Troy Lynn Yellow Wood’s home in Denver, Colorado in Dec. 1975 three distinct knocks were heard on the doors of the court room of Judge John Delaney - loud enough for the bailiff to open the doors to see that nobody was there.

 Annie Mae Pictou Aquash
A few minutes later as Looking Cloud described seeing Annie Mae tied up, the overhead projector turned on all by itself and then some time later the Judge’s internal phone system begans to beep and ring and he could not get it to turn off until he unplugged it.

Indians and non-Indians alike kind of looked at each other..... hmmm.

But the spiritual signs of this case were everywhere - some advice from a respected Lakota elder, a warriors death song floating in the air, tobacco ties with 7x7 and truth to find, a long forgotten dream comes back to mind.

In the middle of the winter, as the verdict is read, and John Graham is declared guilty of murder, I run to get the cell phones not allowed in court, and it is pouring rain outside, the front end of a terrible blizzard blowing in.

The next day, the blizzard reroutes the girls on their way home from Rapid City, to Denver, to Chicago to Boston where they are stuck - back home at the very place they last lived with their mother, and one circle became complete.

The circle is made whole again, and Annie Mae Pictou Aquash and her allies will rest for, just one day....