Annie Mae Timeline III - Fugitives at Port Madison, Washington

This item is a continuation of the Timeline from Part II.

Late October, 1975:

FBI Informant A tells FBI that Banks is in the state of Oregon with the Marlon Brando motor home. Annie Mae tells friends she wants to leave and go to Canada but is not allowed too. KaMook Banks in the CBC - Fifth Estate special says that Annie Mae is along on the trip to be watched because Dennis Banks, and Leonard Peltier “don't trust her, and believe she is working in some capacity as an informant.” David Hill, sometimes also called the "AIM Bomber" because of his expertise is also considered another AIM significant that believed that Annie Mae was an informant.


Early November:
FBI Informant A notifies FBI, that Banks is at John Chiquiti residence on the Port Madison Indian Reservation in Washington State.


Monica Charles, a Peltier supporter from Lower Elwha and "one of Bank's girls" attends a clam bake with the fugitives and several other AIM supporters. Charles admits in an email to News From Indian Country that some members of AIM later accuse her of being either informant A or B. Charles also writes in December 2003 email that she hears "other people were killed because they were thought to be A and B."

Robert Robideau and Dino Butler are both in jail during November and December, 1975.

Early November, 1975:
FBI Informant B notifies FBI, Peltier is at John Chiquiti residence.

November 6 & 8, 1975:
Flyovers at Chiquiti residence are precipitated by information received from an informant in Rapid City, SD according to FBI records. FBI confirms Brando motor home and white station wagon on site. FBI checks site by sneaking through woods to get license plate numbers.

November 6 & 8, 1975:
Attorney Bob Riter of Pierre, South Dakota in letters request the assistance of Attorney Bruce Ellison in notifying Riter's client, Anna Mae Aquash, that she has an appearance to make Nov. 10th, 1975. Riter is the alleged author of a letter to Annie Mae which includes information regarding an offer being made by the federal government to Aquash. Riter refuses to confirm such a letter to NFIC during an interview, but other NFIC sources say the letter is forwarded to the WKLDOC as part of Riter's effort to get information to Annie Mae. Riter also refuses to cooperate with the FBI and prosecutors in regards to what he continues to claim are client/lawyer privileged documents, (See testimony of Robert Riter) a claim that Attorney Bruce Ellison once made until the prosecutors discovered that Ellison only represented Annie Mae in a spring 1975 child custody case.

November 13, 1975:
Two informants again confirm Banks and Peltier in Oregon.

November 14, 1975: (MOTIVE #12)
Oregon/Banks/Brando vehicle shoot-out: (Peltier, Dennis and KaMook Banks, Annie Mae, Kenny Loud Hawk, Russ Redner). Aquash, Redner, Loudhawk and KaMook arrested. Peltier and Banks flee, with Banks shooting back at officers from the motor home at police officers and where AIM fugitives, including his wife and children are being arrested. Peltier is later blamed by law enforcement officer Kenneth Griffiths for firing the shot. FBI agents Owen Harvey and Dean Howard fly from Rapid City to question Annie Mae. Frank Blackhorse is identified by witnesses to have been trailing the Brando motor home in a Blue Comet. Other members of AIM say David Hill may have been with Blackhorse at the time, following the motor home and station wagon that was filled with bombing components and dynamite.

loudhawk-guns.gif loudhawk-machine-gun.gif
Guns from Motor Home bust in Oregon FBI evidence photo file (FOI)

November 15-16, 1975
Annie Mae sends two letters out of jail through attorney Beverly Axelrod, founder of the Wounded Knee Legal Defense Office Committee and member of the Communist Party USA. Included in the letters, one to John Trudell and her "AIM" family, and one to her sisters and family in Nova Scotia, is a ring that is suppose to be given to John Trudell which would indicate to him that she was in trouble as they had previously agreed. The ring is later sent to Matthelene White Bear in California post-marked from Denver, Colorado. The letter to Trudell indicates that AIM has been infiltrated by two informants who gave information about the where-abouts of Peltier and Banks.

Annie Mae and KaMook Banks (right)
Oregon, November 1975

November 16, 1975: Special Agent Daniel S. Jacobs notes that the fingerprints of Peltier and bloody bandages are found approximately tens miles from Ontario, Oregon at the residence of Steven Barker. The bandages found "appeared in shape to have been bandages from a finger wound." Editors Note: The only significance to this portion is in relationship to Peltier's claim that he was shot in the back by officer Kenneth Griffiths when he fled the Brando vehicle. No medical doctor or other AIM medic has ever come forward to admit that they treated Peltier for any kind of a gunshot wound during this period, nor has Peltier named any one that could verify the claim.

November 17, 1975: The vehicle Leonard Peltier steals from the Barker residence is found near Pendleton, Oregon.

November 18, 1975:
FBI issues 20 page document on Peltier's fugitive status regarding deaths of FBI agents, Milwaukee attempted murder charge and the death of Jeanette Bissonette.

November 23, 1975:
Members of AIM in Oregon learn during preliminary hearings about the existence of informants leading to their arrest. Annie Mae is returned to South Dakota via Kansas federal transfer center for up-coming arraignment and trial on Rosebud charges. According to Monica Charles, AIM members identify her, and journalist Richard LaCourse as potential informants, while AIM leadership under the guidance of Vernon Bellecourt, Paula Giese and Attorney Ken Tilsen is also examining the role of Annie Mae and Roque Duenas as potential informants A or B. Bellecourt focuses on Aquash and Duenas.

November 25, 1975:
Arraignment of Annie Mae, Pierre, SD. Annie Mae is represented by a court appointed attorney by the name of Robert Riter Jr.. Bonds out of jail on weapons charge. Annie Mae checks into the St. Charles Hotel in Pierre along with other WKLDOC lawyers including Attorney Bruce Ellison who is sharing her room, legal assistants and defendants and is later picked up by the late Evelyn Bordeaux and Ray Hand Boy (See testimony of Raymond Handboy) and driven to Keensburg, Colorado. Aquash is allegedly told by somebody from WKLDOC that Dennis Banks will meet her there.

November 25, 1975:
Indictment of Leonard Peltier, Robert Robideau, Dino Butler and Jimmy Eagle. Bench warrant for failure to appear for Annie Mae on weapons charges on the Rosebud arrest of September 5th. Charges against all other defendants are dismissed by judge. Annie Mae and others stop at a bar (Julian's) in Keensburg, Colorado owned by the husband of Theda Nelson Clark of Denver AIM. Hand Boy and Bordeaux return the next day to South Dakota. Julian Pokrywka the former husband of Nelson-Clark is named as a federal prosecution witness in the Canadian extradition documents of John Graham

November 28, 1975:
Annie Mae goes to stay at the home of Troy Lynn Yellow Wood-Williams at 4494 Pecos St, Denver, Colorado at the home identified in the Denver Post article. (See testimony of Troy Lynn Yellow Wood-Williams)

December, 1975:
Mark Aquash, nephew to Annie Mae, says he is jumped by individuals in Minneapolis. After Aquash wins the fight the individuals say the reason they jumped him was that Vernon and Clyde Bellecourt had told them that members of the Aquash family are informants and that the Bellecourts had sent them to teach Aquash a lesson.

Russell Means is on trial in Sioux Falls for Custer riot incident..

Herb Powless calls NFIC in 1997 to say that he was in Milwaukee, Wisconsin during December 1975, preparing for his trial on weapon charges. Leonard Peltier is reportedly in the Seattle, Washington area, recovering from his "wounds" from the Brando mother home bust before leaving for Kamloops, British Columbia in mid-December. Peltier claims in a 1994 interview that he spent "more than half the time he was on the run in the United States." (From November 17, 1975 to February 6th 1976 = 78 days). John Trudell is in Nevada on a no-out-of-state travel bond during December, 1975.

Leonard Peltier is the only major AIM figure whose where-abouts during early December 1975 have not been established, by him, or witnesses. Several AIM members have attempted to place him in Canada during this period, but Peltier refuted those contentions himself, but would he not name where he was, or name any one who could corroborate where he was.

Members of the American Indian Movement familiar with events during this period in their opinion, believe that John Boy Patton Graham, Frank Blackhorse, Harry (Mr. x) David Hill, and Monica Charles are utilized as courier's of information to and from Peltier and other West Coast AIM members, including Robert Free in the Seattle, Washington region and the Wounded Knee Legal Offense Committee offices of Bruce Ellison in Rapid City, South Dakota. Charles emerges as one of the few and loudest supporters of John Graham in recent years, posting discredited and false information online and drawing the attention of defense attorneys and federal authorities. As with Aquash, AIM utilized two different methods of treatment after identifying potential informants, 1. Outing them in the public, or 2. Putting them to work in order in order to involve them in incriminating acts, the theory being if they were government informants, then the government was getting involved in criminal acts and could be grounds for later dismissal of charges.

December 1, 1975:
Jury selection begins in Wichita, Kansas for Robert Robideau, Keith DeMarrias and Norman Charles on charges of illegal transportation of firearms. Carter Camp is arrested and jailed in Chicago, Illinois.

Tuesday, December 9, 1975:
Denver, Colorado: Word arrives from South Dakota that Annie Mae has  been identified or judged to be an informant. That it may have been Annie Mae that caused the Marlo Brando motor home bust. Angie Begay-Janis testifies (See testimony of Angie Janis) that she receives a phone call from Thelma Rios-Hill-Conroy saying she needed to pass on the word that Annie Mae was an informant to Troy Lynn Yellow Wood-Irving-Williams and other Denver AIM members.

Kenneth Loud Hawk, and Russ Redner in Portland, Oregon plead innocent to 8 charges of possession of illegal firearms in the beginning of the longest criminal cases opened in the history of the United States.

A subpoena is issued for "material Witness" Harry David Hill in Salt Lake City, Utah. Hill is commanded to appear in Sioux Falls, Minnehaha County Courthouse on December 11, 1975 at 9 am. "Cr. 74-110/Cr. 74-111: 3. That the presence of said David Hill as such witness, will be required for two days, commencing on December 11, 1975." Hill is paid an advance for travel, witness fees and subsistence. The subpoena substantiates other reports and testimony that Hill was in South Dakota, and according to federal witnesses including Candy Hamilton, (See testimony of Candy Hamilton) was seen at Thelma's Rios-Conroy's house the day Annie Mae was brought there on or around December 11.

Tuesday, December 9-15, 1975:
Russell Means is on trial in Sioux Falls, South Dakota on riot charges stemming from the Custer, South Dakota riot. He is free on $2,000 bond. Means is allegedly traveling back and forth from Sioux Falls for the trail while staying at the Poor Bear residence in Wambli, South Dakota as part of his condition for bond, only a few miles from where Annie Mae'sbody is found.

Wednesday, December 10, 1975
Annie Mae according to a 1999 Globe and Mail article, stayed with Troy Lynn Yellow Wood for a few weeks and is then taken by force from the Denver home by Denver AIM members Arlo Looking Cloud and John Boy Graham under the direction of Theda Nelson Clark in order to be questioned about being an informant. Annie Mae is allegedly taken into custody at the house and is tied up while a dozen or more people are in and out of the house including Rod Skenandore, Corky Gonzales and Ernesto Vigil from the Crusade for Justice, John Boy Graham's girlfriend at the time, Angie Begay, Frank Dillon, George and Angie Pelphy and others. Several different scenarios have been painted about this period of time but the names have remained the same.

Yellow Wood said they made it clear that Ms. Aquash was being ordered back to South Dakota. “She was unhappy about going,” she said. “She did not want to go. But she also wanted to get things straightened up. She was tired of people making statements about her.” (See testimony of Troy Lynn Irving Yellow Wood-Williams) The three people left with Aquash after dark. When Yellow Wood claims she tried to talk them out of taking her, Aquash said she would go, so she wouldn't make trouble for her. “I think she had little choice,” Yellow Wood said. “But she walked out on her own.” Other witnesses have testified that Aquash was tied up when placed in the Red Pinto of Theda Nelson Clarke.

Richard Two Elk in his year June 2000 interview with Native American American journalists says he believes that Troy Lynn was selected to procure individuals to abduct Annie Mae and has fabricated most of the above scenario, especially in regard to Aquash "walking out on their own."

(See testimony of Angie Janis)

Prosecutor Robert Mandel. Who brought her out of the basement?
Angie Begay-Janis. I think Theda and John Boy and Arlo.

Mandel. And what was her condition when she was taken from the basement?
Witness. She was tied up.

Mandel. How was she tied up?
Witness. I think her wrists were tied, and they had her on like a board or something, her hands were tied to the board.

Mandel. Do you recall --
Witness. They carried her out.

Mandel. They carried her out?
Witness. Yes.

John Trudell in the CBC - Fifth Estate special says he receives a phone call from Troy Lynn Yellow Wood indicating that Annie Mae was taken away from Yellow Wood's house against her will. John Boy Graham in the CBC special admits that Annie Mae is in the car going from Denver to Rapid City but says not against her will but refuses to name other individuals who could confirm his alibi. Graham claims publicly he dropped her off at a "safe house," but does not identify a location, or the names of anybody that can confirm his alibi.


Theda Nelson-Clark. Matralinial head of the Denver, Colorado Nelson and William's families.

Theda is known as a loyalist and relative to Russell Means and Troy Lynn Yellow Wood is a niece of Theda Nelson Clark an Auntie to Dusty Nelson (John Star Yellow Wood). John Boy Graham is allegedly adopted Indian way under the name John Boy Patton by Theda Nelson Clark. Theda is a sister to Vivian Locust, Velma and Corky Nelson and is related to the Means family through the Lakota Tiospaye (extended family clan).

Several NFIC source says Vernon Bellecourt is asking many questions and making statements about Annie Mae being an informant during this period. Bellecourt tells News From Indian Countrythat it was his responsibility as head of the AIM Council for Security and Internal Intelligence, the arm of the American Indian Movement that was suppose to weed out informants, to ask questions about people and to focus on those he thought may be informants or pigs as AIM commonly calls them and either neutralize or eliminate them.


Thurs. December 11, 1975:

Bob Robideau, Keith DeMarrias and Norman Charles are convicted in Wichita, Kansas on illegal transportation of firearms.

A jury in the Herb Powless firearms case being heard in Rapid City, South Dakota is sent out to deliberate charges, deadlocks and the judge declares a mistrial on charges of interstate transportation of firearms, Powless is featured outside the courthouse of Rapid City, South Dakota in the Rapid City Journal on December 12, 1975, but claims in a phone call to News From Indian Country that he was not in Rapid City during this time period.


Thursday, December 11, 1975: Morning
Annie Mae
is taken to the offices of Attorney Bruce Ellison and the Wounded Knee Legal Defense Committee in Rapid City and questioned by members of AIM. Madonna Gilbert is director of the WKLDOC in Rapid City in December 1975, and Lorelie Decora-Means is allegedly at the office during this same period. Both Gilbert, and Means have admitted to journalist Minnie Two Shoes and other individuals over the years now cooperating with federal authorities in the investigation, that they questioned Annie Mae, but claim it was just to "scare her a bit."

madonnagilbert.gif lorelie-decory004.gif
Madonna Lorelie

NFIC sources now cooperating with the murder investigation say that Ted Means and Clyde Bellecourt are seen at the WKLDOC headquarters during the day when Annie Mae is being held and leave a short time later with Candy Hamilton, Web Poor Bear and two others for Russell Means' trial in Souix Falls, stopping at Bill Mean's house during the trip to Sioux Falls. Hamilton indicates during court testimony that it was a particular quiet ride that day, with nobody saying anything.

Harry David Hill, who had been living with Thelma Rios-Conroy during 1974-75, shows up in the Rapid City during this time from Salt Lake City, Utah, allegedly having come back from west coast meetings with Dennis Banks and Vernon Bellecourt. Hill is subpoenaed by the prosecution to testify at Mean's trial on December 12, 1975 and is paid a travel stipend to be there.

Candy Hamilton, WKLDOC legal assistant in the CBC - Fifth Estate special and during (See testimony of Candy Hamilton) court testimony which is also confirmed by federal witness Jeanette Eagle Hawk (See testimony of Jeanette Eagle Hawk) at Arlo Looking Cloud's 2004 trial, says she is working upstairs at the WKLDOC when she comes across Annie Mae, and that WKLDOC attorney Bruce Ellison and Clyde Bellecourt are present in the office when she is there but Hamilton is unable to do anything about Aquash's predicament at the time. Kathy James, Toby and Lucky Hollander, legal assistants are reportedly working at the WKLDOC offices during this general period as well.

Annie Mae

Thurs. December 11, 1975: Late Afternoon
Annie Mae is reportedly taken from the WKLDC offices and held at the home in the basement of Thelma Rios-Conroy at 1014 Milwaukee St. for a short period of time before being moved to another home owned by Thelma Rios-Conroy in Norwood Heights, where she is allegedly raped by John Graham and other young members of AIM and allegedly forced to cut the labels off of all her clothes. Thelma's elderly mother tells friends that she witnesses a woman being held at the Milwaukee St. house during this period. During this time frame NFIC has been told that several leadership members of AIM take part in discussions regarding Annie Mae being an informant and what they should do about it. Dennis Banks is allegedly part of these discussions from California and is said to be aware that Annie Mae is being held for questioning.

In addition, WKLDOC attorney Bruce Ellison (Federal prosecutors named Bruce Ellison as a co-conspirator after Ellison's refusal to testify for the defense, or at grand jury without immunity) is named by NFIC sources as encouraging the idea that Annie Mae may have been an informant after her questioning, according to one AIM member and witness called to the grand jury before Arlo's trial. A document is produced, which is said to outline a government offer to Annie Mae involving her cooperation. (believed to be the alleged Attorney Riter letter or an FBI memo MP70-10238 which indicates she is willing to be asked questions about the Jumping Bull compound shoot-out dated Sept. 9, 1975.)  Ellison is alleged to have spent time with Annie Mae while she is tied up at the WKLDOC office and is implicated in helping organize the questioning of Aquash after she is brought there from Denver, Colorado against her will.

Candy Hamilton. When I heard Bruce Ellison at Thelma's, I heard him say...
MR. RENSCH: Objection.

THE COURT: Sustained.

MR. MANDEL: Your Honor, can we approach on this for a moment?
THE COURT: You may.

(Bench Conference).

MR. MANDEL: Frankly, my read on this is that this is a coconspirator statement made in the furtherance of the course of the conspiracy. I know we don't have a conspiracy charge, that's not the rule of evidence, and in fact I point out that Mr. Ellison, according to Mr. Rensch, said he is going to exercise his 5th Amendment rights and won't testify here, and we have had the same experience we had with the grand jury regarding this on a number of occasions. Mr. Rensch of course has received the transcript through discovery, he's exercised his 5th Amendment right. He is a coconspirator, it is a coconspirator's statement made in the furtherance and course of the conspiracy. The statement is simply that, you know, she's here, they have her here in town, something like that.


The Murky last hours of Annie Mae's Life

Because of the creation of alibi's by AIM members, distortions and time - some time sequences, travel routes and names may be out of sequence to the actual events that occurred. Some claim that these events all occurred the last weekend of November, Nov. 30 - Dec. 1, 1975.

Thursday, December 11, 1975: Evening
According to NFIC sources, court testimony and cooperating federal witnesses familiar with the case, Annie Mae is taken from Rapid City to the Rosebud reservation area near Pass Creek by Clark, Looking Cloud and Graham, to the home of Richard and Cleo (Gates) Marshall where Aquash is given a change of clothes and is allowed to have some coffee and a donut. Some individuals close to the case believe this is where Annie Mae's wallet is removed from her. Dick Marshall is also named by Arlo Looking Cloud as providing the gun that was used to kill Annie Mae during this meeting but a federal jury of 12 white people acquit him of those charges in a 2010 trial.

The three arrive between 10 pm and midnight on December 11th according to Cleo Gates. (See testimony of Cleo Gates)

In a 1994 interview with NFIC, the late Vernon Bellecourt tells Paul DeMain that the "events" that led to Aquash' death "all came down at that house at Pass Creek." Bellecourt did not indicate who owned the house at Pass Creek, but at the time was instead underscoring his allegation that Harry David Hill, was involved in a conspiracy to set AIM up in the Aquash murder.

The wallet is later given to Attorney Ken Tilsen, (See Letter from Ken Tilsen) [dated May 11, 1976] who does not provide it to investigative authorities, committing the possible crime of evidence tampering and sends it to Annie Mae's sisters in Nova Scotia without an examination of its contents for forensic evidence. Attorney Ken Tilsen at the time is representing Richard Marshall for the shooting death of Martin Montileaux.

According to forensic evidence in the Montileaux case, Marshall who later confesses to the killing and is now out on parole, shoots Montileaux in the center of neck, [just below the back of the head. The forensic pathology of the Montileaux and Aquash cases resemble each other very, very closely.]     (Editors Note: On January 22, 2010 a representative for Richard Marshall contacted News From Indian Country in regards to the information in italics noting that trial testimony indicated that Montileaux was shot from the front of the neck and not the back. A review of the autopsy report "75-8E" confirms that within the 8 page autopsy report there is a word "anterior" which indicates or means that the bullet wound was from the front to the back, not  from the back of the head to the front. While this changes the trajectory of the bullet wound moving from the front of the neck to the back, which is the opposite of the Aquash case bullet trajectory, the pathology of both cases, "a close range execution" from the front or back is less common than a typical shooting in which any other number of places on the body are the entry point for a bullet. The pathology of the cases may simply mean that they were more premeditated, rather than spontaneous and not necessarily connected to the same killer. News From Indian Country stands corrected on this information and appreciates the information provided).

Also significant to this location, is that Richard (Dick) Marshall, Theda Nelson Clark and John Boy Graham allegedly have a meeting in the back room of the house where a note is discussed which allegedly says "Dick, Take Care of This Baggage." Sources close to the investigation who have cooperated with law enforcement agencies, told NFIC that they believe that one of the three kidnappers were given the gun that was used to shoot Annie Mae at this time. (See testimony of Cleo Gates). In recent court motion filings, the U.S. government alleges that Marshall gave both  a 32-calibre revolver and shells used in the killing to the trio at this meeting in the bedroom of the trailer. Marshall, according to federal court documents admits that Aquash is brought to his house, is "possibly" bound and there against her will.

Arlo Looking Cloud, despite confessing to many other portions of this travel log had refused to admit until a 2008 Grand Jury hearing that he ever was at the Marshall home.

Recent language in 2008 filings by federal authorites reorders the sequence of events on December 11 & 12, 1975. The order of events reads from Rapid City, to the Rosebud Reservation, (Bill Mean's) to the Pine Ridge Reservation, (Marshall's) to her death (at Wambli). The reording indicate's that the prosecutors now believe that the meeting that took place at Bill Means' house occurred before the trio went to Dick Marshall's house in Allen, South Dakota and from there to Wambli/Wanblee where Aquash's body is found. Historic NFIC files have read and still do from Rapid City, to Pine Ridge (Marshall's) to Rosebud (Mean's) to Wambli. We admit, that our chronology may  have been in error, and that the new federal timeline, actually makes better sense in the context of events that occured during that 24 hours.

John Graham in a recorded 2001 interview, agrees that "when they left Bill Mean's house they were headed to Wambli."

In addition, the involvement of Dick Marshall has been raised to News From Indian Country in the context of several alternative theories proposed about when and where Annie Mae was actually shot. These proposals have not been thoroughly vetted or substantiated by witnesses or corroborating material.

The theories include the proposal that Annie Mae was executed near Dick Marshall's home, and/or that she was executed near Bill Mean's, and then transported dead, to the Wambli location she was later found.

Also in the mix is at least one other uncorroborated scenario in which Aquash is executed near the home of Grandma Qiuver, or Tom Poor Bears in Wambli, and her body taken to Amiotte's wrapped in a blanket. A blanket is not included in any forensic evidence reports from the scene.

Attorney Ken Tilsen in a 1999, News From Indian Country interview with Paul DeMain says he "has no recollection what-so-ever of having the wallet,' but admits, "to finding a copy of the letter drafted in his legal files." He then tells DeMain that he suffered a mild stroke and does not remember anything from that time period in 1975-1976.

Editors Note: It is really hard to understand how high of a standard AIM attorneys hold the FBI to remembering details when Tilsen "has no memory what-so-ever about Annie Mae's wallet -- imagine if SA David Price had sent the wallet to Canada and then testified that he "had no memory" of ever having the wallet, a major and significant piece of forensic evidence that Tilsen did not turn over to those investigating her murder and a key clue to another person playing the smoke and mirrors game.

December 11 or 12, 1975: Late Night/Early Morning
Aquash is then taken to William (Bill/Kills) Means' home nearby during the early morning hours. Several AIM members are allegedly at the home of Bill Means, (See testimony of John Trudell and statement by Russell Means regarding this stop) including Clyde Bellecourt and David Hill. Russell Means in a November 1999 Denver press conference says that Vernon Bellecourt calls his own brother Clyde, from Minneapolis and orders the execution of Annie Mae. Bill Means tells several Native journalists that he doesn't remember if he even had a phone at the time.

Seven NFIC sources have now said that Harry David (Mr. X) Hill was on the Rosebud reservation and Bill Means' home when Annie Mae is brought there. Five NFIC sources have provided information on conversations, including one with Vernon Bellecourt and one with Theodore (Ted) Means, who have said that Clyde Bellecourt was at Bill Means' home when Annie Mae is brought there. Also at the house is the owner, Bill Means, his wife Dolly Means, and Bill's twin brother Ted Means. NFIC has also been told that Leonard Crow Dog, providing some kind of spiritual justification to the execution of alleged informants in Wounded Knee in 1973, either visits Bill Means, or has an interest in the outcome of events occurring around Annie Mae's execution. While a couple of other well know, prominent names have been passed around, no substantial corroborative interviews that could be fact checked could be made.

According to one AIM spiritual leader who was consulted about some of these issues regarding Annie Mae, and who has some knowledge of events that occurred at Bill Mean's house, seven important AIM leadership (upper tier leaders of AIM, South Dakota AIM, and security) officials are at the house. From the conversation, it is implied that some members of AIM leadership were shopping for some kind of spiritual authorization to eliminate/execute those thought to be their enemies.

NFIC does not count any women, as upper tier leaders in this analysis.

1. Bill Means - Owner of house, Vernon Bellcourt ally.
2. Ted Means - Heads up South Dakota AIM security. Russell's younger brother, twin to Bill.
3. Clyde Bellecourt - Heads up AIM drug cartel in 70s. Vernon's younger brother.
4. Harry David Hill - Alleged shooter of Ray Robinson/AIM bomb expert/Mr X.
5. Leonard Crow Dog - Spiritual adviser.
6. Charlie Abourezk - Adopted son of then Senator James Abourezk answers the door of Bill Mean's home according to the testimony of Arlo Looking Clcoud.

Also present:

8. Dolly Means - Owner of house, Bill Mean's wife
9. Unidentifed White Woman


Seven other names most prominently named, but unconfirmed or corroborated include Russell Means, Vernon Harper, Melvin Lee Houston, Richard Marshall, Leonard Peltier and June or Beau Little.

Vernon Bellecourt

Vernon Bellecourt in an interview with several Native journalists at the offices of the Native American Journalists Association (NAJA) in response to the Means' press conference says he called the home of Bill Means during that period on a daily basis, several times, as part of AIM business.

Bill Means tells journalists shortly after his brother's press conference he didn't think his phone was hooked up in December 1975.

Vernon Bellecourt also says he was in California at the time on AIM business and had a plane ticket stub to prove it, and that his brother Clyde did not even know where the WKLDOC offices in Rapid City were during that time period. Dennis Banks is staying at the home of Lee Brightman in California during December 1975.

Editors Note: The scenario set-up by Russell Means lacks credibility on certain accounts. First of all, Vernon who says he was in California, and according to sources who spoke to NFIC who say he was in California, would not know when to call when "the three alleged kidnappers" brought Annie Mae to Bill Means' house. If this scenario has any truth to it, it is more likely that Clyde Bellecourt, at Bill Means' house would have called Vernon Bellecourt, who was allegedly with Dennis Banks in California. The press conference appears to be more of a point the fingers in some other misdirection, a typical AIM response to growing pressure on the AIM murders investigation. Russel Means has no less then six significant brothers, sisters, cousins and aunties involved in this case and its hard to understand why he had to talk to Arlo Looking Cloud to discover what happened.

The Means press conference may have served the proposes of redirecting attention away from the involvement and authority that Russell Means exercised on the Pine Ridge Reservation. This was a Pine Ridge operation, overseen and run by Lakota's. In addition to being related to most of the principle players, Richard Marshal was a loyalist to Means and had already killed one person in the company of Means.


December 11 or 12, 1975: Late Night or Early Morning

John Boy Patton Graham admits to "waiting" in the car with Annie Mae in it, while Arlo Looking Cloud and Theda Nelson Clark go into Bill Means house during a recorded 2001 interview set up by Vernon Bellecourt in order to facilitate a better alibi in the Aquash case. Janice Denny, Bellecourt's common law wife, helps set the meeting up by providing contact numbers for reaching Graham and confirming that Graham has been contacted and is waiting for the interview. The interview, is recorded while in a Vancouver, British Columbia hotel.

Meanwhile Bellecourt in the media is denying to Carson Walker of the Associated Press that he has had contact with John Grahm since the early 1970s in Denver.

On the tape transcript, Graham said he was there. (Associated Press Article 3/28/04)

"I don't remember going into (Means') house. I stayed in the car (with Aquash), I know that. Theda went in. And I don't know if Arlo went in or not, I can't really remember that too clear," he said.

Asked if Clark took over the driving when they left Means' house for Wanblee, where Aquash was killed, Graham said: "Yeah. I do remember that. Theda did some driving. Theda drove from Bill Means'."


(Just a fraction of light is breaking on the horizon.. according to one account)

Theda Nelson Clark is driving the same Red Pinto they left in from Denver, Colorado with John Boy Graham and Arlo Looking Cloud and Annie Mae tied up in the back seat. John Boy Graham Patton, allegedly shoots Annie Mae around daybreak on December 12, 1975, with Arlo Looking Cloud nearby according to Looking Cloud's confession. In the CBC - Fifth Estate special John Boy Graham denies shooting Annie Mae.

Richard Two Elk testifies in 2004 (See testimony of Richard Two Elk) that Arlo Looking Cloud had told him that he handed the gun to John Graham just before Graham shot Aquash. If this scenario holds true, then it is likely that the accusation against Marshall providing the gun would mean he handed it to either Theda Nelson Clark or Arlo Looking Cloud first at his Pass Creek home. 

John Trudell in the CBC - Fifth Estate describes the scene told to him by one of the witnesses that was there. “Annie Mae was trying to pray for her daughters, and then John Boy shot her.” During court testimony in 2004, Trudell identifies the source of this information during the 2004 trial as Arlo Looking Cloud.

On the northeastern edge of the Pine Ridge reservation between Kadoka and Wanblee on Hwy 73. Annie Mae is executed at daybreak on top of the ridge according to the testimony of Arlo Looking Cloud and then pushed over, or falls over the edge. Not being killed instantly, she eventually curls into a fetal position before dying.


LOOKING CLOUD: And then he - I think she knew then, but I didn't think they were gonna go through with it, then. I thought it was just like, you know, like they were gonna scare her or something, cause John Boy pulled out a pistol.

LOOKING CLOUD: And I thought -

ECOFFEY: Okay. Go ahead.
LOOKING CLOUD: I thought they weren't gonna do it. But he did.

ECOFFEY: Okay. Tell me exactly, what did he do?
LOOKING CLOUD: He put it on her head and she prayed,

ECOFFEY: She was praying?
LOOKING CLOUD: Yeah. So I didn't think, you know, he was gonna do it. But then he did.

ECOFFEY: Okay. When you said you didn't think he was gonna do it and he did, what did he -- what did he do?
LOOKING CLOUD: I didn't think he was gonna do it. He shot her in the head.


©News From Indian Country